I’m very behind on posts I intend to make, I’m trying to catch up…
I got so many gifts and surprises from you good people over the holidays and even afterward! I have been really struggling with my health since October and I’m in the process of being diagnosed with an all-new chronic illness (it feels like Pokémon, how many do I have at this point? ). I am spending a lot of my time on various doctor appointments, blood draws, etc. and I have even more mobility difficulties than usual.
I still can’t work off campus due to my visa restrictions, and this semester I’m again spending a lot of money on commuting (not easy with mobility issues) and rent, so it’s tough right now. But G-d willing I’ll soon be able to apply for a visa status change. And I have my wonderful Partnerperson and Childperson, who cheer me up, though it is hard when they are far from me due to the commuting.
I am really grateful for all your support!!!
In order of receiving the gifts, I got:
* Charles A. Tan sent an ebook of Revenge: Eleven Dark Tales by Yoko Ogawa
* Gillian Polack sent an upcoming audiobook of her work
* Anonymous Benefactor sent a box of lemon pound cake protein bars
* Mina Li sent Lush bath things
* Anonymous Benefactor sent The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
* Ann Leckie sent a board game, Ticket to Ride: Europe
* Beth Wodzinski sent a crate (!) of almond milk
* Merc A. Rustad sent a box of boxes of chocolate chip cookies
* Em of Polychrome Ink sent various kinds of bars and granola
* My brother Marcell Géza Takács & my mom and my grandma sent a pasta pot and a gigantic heap of books: The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin, Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie, Steel Closets: Voices of Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Steelworkers by Anne Balay, Afro-Vegan: Farm-Fresh African, Caribbean and Southern Flavors Remixed by Bryant Terry, The Golden Scales by Parker Bilal, Regeneration: New Zealand Speculative Fiction 2 edited by Anna Caro and Juliet Buchanan, Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond edited by Bill Campbell and Edward Austin Hall, Concrete Park vol. 1 by Tony Puryear and Erika Alexander. They also separately sent a large box full of all sorts of goodies, including some recently published Hungarian books!
* My dad & his current partner Magdi sent beautiful traditional Hungarian folk embroidery, and a fun bag for Mati
* Polenth Blake & family sent boxes of banana bread and apple pie bars, and my favorite body wash
* Anonymous Benefactor sent a large box full of sweet potato chips
* Jaymee Goh sent The SEA is Ours: Tales of Steampunk South Asia ed. by Jaymee Goh and Joyce Chng
* Via Farkas and Ádám Dobay sent a bunch of cute stickers for Mati
* Jill Seidenstein sent Queers Destroy Fantasy and Horror
* Debra Fran Baker sent dried mushrooms and a large box of basmati rice
* Andi C. Buchanan sent The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison, a shampoo, a bottle of soy sauce and a bag of teff
* Janet Mock’s #transbookdrive sent Redefining Realness by Janet Mock
* Shira Glassman sent a tangerine bubble bath
* Kate Heartfield sent Ms. Marvel vol. 4
* Olivia Waite sent A Field Guide to Getting Lost by Rebecca Solnit
* Rose Lemberg’s mom sent a warm multicolored scarf
I never, ever got this many gifts from this many people in my entire life. You people made me cry several times over.
If you are listed as anonymous but sent the gift non-anonymously: third party sellers on Amazon often don’t attach the gift note. Please comment and I’ll be happy to add your name.
I might be missing some things, especially ebooks. I am really sorry!! There were weeks when I was basically existing in a painful, immobile haze. Please comment and I’ll add you in! I can assure you I really appreciated your gift even if I left you out of this list :O
I also got many cool recommendations of free stuff – too many to list here, but I am very grateful for those too!
If you follow me on Twitter, you can see pictures of most of these gifts – I try to take a photo of everything with my cell phone but sometimes I fall behind.